Monday, March 7, 2011

Digital Portfolio



Don't worry!  This should be fun and easy.

Digital portfolio due: by Wednesday March 16th 6:00 pm. This means Wednesday of exam week.
This document as a google doc:
Each student will produce a digital portfolio that describes the contributions that they made to the course along with commentary relates those contributions to the themes of the course.  Here are some of the things that may have done during the quarter that will count towards this assignment:
  1. Participate in the blogs via comments.
  2. Contribute to the class notes online.
  3. Participate in class assignments.
  4. Coordinate with group via email, chat, etc.
  5. Create resources for group work, via google docs, video editing, photography, sound mixing, etc.
  6. Promote projects via facebook network, email, etc.
  7. Create your FB network graph
  8. Other ways of participating digitally. . .
To complete this you will: (1) keep records of these sorts of things that you do through electronic or social media systems (2) think about which of those are relevant or important or notable (3) show some documentation of what you did (4) discuss what you did in light of concepts and goals of this course (5) Turn in as a google doc.
Check out the example I created.  Make sure you copy the format of the document, including the section headings, and highlighting of connections to course ideas. It is what your final draft of your digital portfolio should look like.  Do a good job of connecting your examples to ideas from the course.  This part is especially important.
Check list:
  1. Create google doc.
  2. Name it correctly
    1. FirstInitial.LastName.Digital.Portfolio
    2. For me:  H.Welser.Digital.Portfolio
  3. Top of page:
    1. Assignment name
    2. Your name
    3. Word count
      1. check under tools to run word count
    4. 800-1200  acceptable range of word count
  4. Sections of document
    1. Overview
      1. Explain where you started in terms of technology this quarter and how / if you are doing more or different things.
    2. Example 1
      1. explanation
      2. link and or image
      3. connection to ideas from course   (make sure you highlight these parts!)
    3. Example 2
      1. explanation
      2. link and or image
      3. connection to ideas from course
    4. Example 3
      1. explanation
      2. link and or image
      3. connection to ideas from course
    5. Example 4
      1. explanation
      2. link and or image
      3. connection to ideas from course
    6. Example 5 (optional)
      1. explanation
      2. link and or image
      1. connection to ideas from course

  5. Under “share”  (button on top right corner of page)
    1. choose share with anyone with a link
    2. copy that link
  6. Open link to Turn in form on the blog post
    1. Fields on the form
      1. Name
      2. Oak ID
      3. Link to your digital portfolio
    2. make sure your link works:  
      1. paste url into a different browser
  7. The end.

 Link to turn in form:  

Post questions about the assignment in the comment thread below.

44 comments:

  1. By "7. Create your FB network graph" what do you mean? I just want to make sure I include everything I can. Also, since I just commented on a post, can I put this in my portfolio....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when everyone made a network graph of their FaceBook friend network? That counts as digital participation. And, oh snap! You are right, this counts too. If you reply, that would be a whole other thing to mention. . . heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. soooooooooooo this counts?

    And im not too sure about the fun part... but ill get back to you on that and write a little note at the end and tell you if i thought it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and what if we cant get 5 examples? say i can only think of 3, should i make 2 more up in order to keep you happy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the instructions actually say four or five, so, , , But really, you should probably think more carefully how what you did and did not actually do as it relates to the concepts in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
    This link is kind of funny. We talked about it in one of my other classes. Popular music is based on norms. What is everyone else listening to because i will like it to, we all know these songs and they are all the same, similar 4 chords.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agreee with what elizabeth said..It was in our IART 117 class..its interesting because you think that these are all different songs but really they are similar chords. It shows you that you listen to certain songs or you will like certain songs because they are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. under the check list and "name it correctly," I don't understand what it means when it says For me: H.Welser.Digital.Portfolio... how do we do that

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtney, for you it would be C.Yourlastname.Digital.Portfolio

    hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This doesn't really pertain to the digital portfolio but I was just wondering if we are responsible for knowing all the definitions on the review sheet for the in class exam or just the boxed terms?? Is there anyway I can focus my attention on the more important ones? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_sfnQDr1-o

    Pleaseeeee play this in class

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where is the review for our final......is it in google docs? I am having trouble finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also having trouble finding the review....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coach Welser,
    i'll give you 100 dollars for an A- in the class...if you're mad that I suggested that I'm just kidding...if not...we should talk business

    ReplyDelete
  15. so, question. If we have conversations through the blog or conversations with our group via email how do i make that into a link. I don't get how to do that. Also what if i talked to my group through facebook chat or messaging how can i make a link to that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elizabeth- That is a good question-- what I would do is to capture am image of some of the comments and save that as a picture then upload that picture into your google doc. I am going to take a pic of this comment and yours using the snipping tool and then upload it into the example google doc. snipping tool is a program on all vista and windows 7 machines. apple has a similar program. both of which were explained in detail in the tough graph assignment description.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And after doing this long complicated portfolio,
    would i get a degree for saving this planet ^^?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is there an online portion to our exam that we have to do during the weekend? Like we had to do with the mid term???

    ReplyDelete
  19. Before i turn in my digital portfolio, i just want to make sure it is okay that i am 100 words over the maximum. I tried to go back and take out words, but i don't want to leave out any important details. Is 1300 words okay?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. To the people having trouble finding the review for the final, it's listed under the section called "Pointers" at the homepage of the blog. The actual review sheets are the two links, Review 6,7,8 and Review 9,10. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  23. And just a general question, is there a way to search for comments? I'm not sure when I made certain comments, but is there a way I could search for them so I can include them in my digital portfolio?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just as some more support of my project, Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi tweeted back to me!

    http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/6709/screenshot20110312at110b.png

    ReplyDelete
  25. For one of my examples, I want to talk about how I used the IM chat on GoogleDocs, but I don't have the conversation up anymore and don't know how I can get to it so I can take a screen shot and have proof that I actually did have a conversation. Any suggestions on that?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know where to post this, so I'll post it here. Check out the site stumbleupon.com! When you sign up, you check different things you are interested in, like "nature" or "psychology". They have a pretty wide range of topics. When you hit "stumble" at the top of the page, it takes you to the coolest stories, pictures or videos ever. Its so interesting, I have heard many stories of addiction to the site. This website promotes so many culture memes and other trends in society, the website itself has become intertwined into today's popular culture. Anyways, just wanted to share

    ReplyDelete
  27. When you say highlight the themes that tie in with the course, do you mean to use sociological terms through out or what?

    ReplyDelete
  28. If I have both chats on facebook and google docs am I able to use both of them as examples? or are they too similar to use as different examples

    ReplyDelete
  29. Is something as simple as sending an email out to your group for a project enough to include as an example in your portfolio?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have a question!! How do we upload photos on to our google document?

    ReplyDelete
  31. katie,
    on your tool bar, about the middle, three over from where you can change your color font is the uploader for pictures. it looks like green mountains with a blue sky background. hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  32. thanks amy! you can also access it under the "insert" drop down menu, then "image".

    ReplyDelete
  33. What do you mean by "create resources for group work?" Is this like me uploading the video to youtube for our project or editing it or something? Then again, I could just use this comment. Oh, well. Please answer this anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm kind of confused on like what all is considered as a contribution to the class would voting for the video clip of the day?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Can we use links instead of pictures to show proof?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Kayla- you could-- but a screen shot is better-- it is much easier for us to see right away that your example is good with the picture.

    Ashley- yes-- finding images or writing part of the script or those types of contributions are good. Commenting here is an example also-- remember to make sure that you connect what you do to the ideas in the course (like in my examples, the highlighted parts.

    Logan- voting is a contribution, the key for that is how you describe how it makes a connection in light of the ideas in the course.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Can someone further explain "sub-culture defiance?" I am having trouble thinking of an example...

    ReplyDelete
  38. ...and how do you take screen shots?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hey Jordan-

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zL4uQMXxrL08zEteMmIYLYcu0neRpSErMFJbqOOv7TE/edit?hl=en#

    the explanation of the touchgraph assignment also explains how to make images from your computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  40. To take screenshots on a Mac, you press simultaneously Shift+Apple+4. On a PC you use the snipping tool and save it as a .jpg. Then you can insert the picture right into your Google Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I turned in my portfolio but the spreadsheet took forever to load and I think my internet may have gone out while it was submitting...Should I try to submit it again?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Annie- please try again and submit it. I do not see it in the list.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I was skimming through the sociology site and noticed where someone had posted about when they uploaded the form the server loaded oddly. I live at home and commute and I had the same issue. I assumed the form had sent but was wanting to make sure.

    Jordan Coffman
    jc229110

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm going to just resubmit from another internet network...

    ReplyDelete